Eight families were displaced this weekend after a fire at the Waterford North Park Apartments in Midland.
The Midland Fire Department responded to the fire around 11 Saturday night and found the entire building ablaze. Officials say the fire appears to have started inside a common chimney chase way.
“I saw my friend’s apartment on fire so I was like ‘oh I wonder if she is okay or not’ I was scared,” said Miranda Marquez who is a resident at the Apartment Complex.
Miranda Marquez lives at the Waterford North Park Apartments and could not get ahold of friend all weekend; instead she heard the horrific details for the fires destruction.
“The building on the top that’s the one that caught on fire and like their floor collapsed on my friends house and so like their TV was on their couch,“ said Miranda Marquez.
One woman staying with her sister at the apartment complex the night of the fire describes the scene.
“Fire Trucks the police and the ambulance and fire was coming out of the chimney, there was water coming down, it was horrific, I have never seen anything like that in my life,” said witness to the fire, Henrietta Douglas.
The fire damaged 8 apartment units, but thankfully there were no reported injuries and Miranda saw her friend on Monday.
I was scared the whole weekend, because I couldn’t see her until school.
The Red Cross says they were able to assist all 8 families with immediate emergency needs.
A representative from the apartment complex says 3 of the families have already been placed in new units while the other 5 are staying with family and friends.
The investigation into the fire continues.