Looking Back at the Search for Hailey Dunn

Looking Back at the Search for Hailey Dunn

The story of Hailey Dunn started more than two years ago.
The story of Hailey Dunn started more than two years ago.

Hailey was 13 years old when she disappeared from Colorado City on December 27, 2010.

An 8th grader-Hailey was also a cheerleader.

"If I knew she was in Europe, I would walk and swim to Europe," Hailey's mom Billie Dunn said in May 2011.  "I'm not going to look for a body, ever! I will never go and look in fields or creeks for my girl."

Billie Dunn's boyfriend Shawn Adkins was the last person to see Hailey alive.

Police also named him a person of interest in the case.

Adkins was known as a drug user who was obsessed with horror stories.

"I would never do nothing to that little girl," Adkins said in January 2011.  "I love her with all my heart and I just wish for her safe return. It is frustrating what she said about me but it really doesn't bother me cause you know my main focus is Hailey."

January of 2011 police spent their time searching landfills from Big Spring to Abilene- trying to find anything that would lead them to Hailey.

While police searched for a body the people of Scurry County formed search groups determined to find Hailey...alive.

Almost three weeks after Hailey's disappearance, 911 calls were released where Billie Dunn called police fearing for her safety after a break up with boyfriend Shawn Adkins.

Shortly after police named Adkins as their only suspect in the case.

About a month after Hailey disappeared search groups got some help from helicopters and airplanes-but still no sign of Hailey.

On March 21, 2011 Billie Dunn moved from Colorado City to Austin, after authorities told her they had reason to believe Hailey was dead.

Fast forward two years to March 2013 when remains were found by Lake J.B. Thomas near Snyder.

"It's just tough to say really, we're in a bad situation," Billie Dunn said in March 2013. "It looks like we are going to be waiting two or three weeks on DNA."

A special forensics unit from the FBI was called in to help identify the remains.

At first officials wanted to conduct dental tests but when that failed they moved to DNA.

Those tests took several weeks to conduct.

Police released the results of that test today.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus